Another year gone and time to start looking towards what you want to achieve next year. As life hopefully starts to return to a bit of pre-covid normalcy, I think it’s more important than ever to do an annual review and detailed goal planning for next year.
I have my usual questions I go through each week and each month and used to have a 20 or so questions list for my annual review. However, I wanted to do a more detailed review this year and kept coming up with questions so the list ended up being 60 questions long!
ANNUAL REVIEW QUESTIONS
I’m a type A person so I’ve gone through all of the questions in this list I put together, but you could just do the general questions section only.
- Rate the year out of 10 (10 being the best)
- 3 words to describe the past year?
- Favorite memory/s of this past year?
- What were the most significant events that happened in my life this year?
- What items did I tick off my bucket list?
- What am I grateful for this year?
- What was the best thing that happened this year?
- Which experiences do you want to do again?
- How did you celebrate your birthday?
- What life lessons did I learn this year?
- What goals did I accomplish this year?
- What goals didn’t I complete? Why?
- Are the goals I set at the start of the year something I want to continue building on / pursuing?
- What goals did I carry over from last year, that I still did not complete this year? What is stopping me from achieving those goals?
- What new skills did I try or learn this year?
- What thing did I improve on the most?
- What am I spending too much (or too little) time on? What were this year’s biggest time wasters?
- What did you think about the most this year?
- What things did you create this year that you’re most proud of?
- Which worries turned out to be unnecessary or over-reacting?
- What thing/s can I change or improve on next year?
- How am I different this year compared to last year? How have I grown?
- What advice would I give myself if I could go back to the start of this year?
- Rate your career this year out of 10 (10 being the best)
- Are you happy in your current job?
- Did you achieve your work goals?
- Where do I want to be in 1 year, 3 years and 5 years? What did I do this year that bought me closer to achieving those goals?
- Check your salary on job seeker websites – does your salary match or do you need to set a goal to have a salary discussion next year with your boss?
- What can you change to make your work more enjoyable?
- Are you happy with your current responsibilities?
- Rate your financial progress this year out of 10 (10 being the best)
- Did I meet my income goal?
- Did I meet my savings goal?
- Did I meet my expenses goal?
- Did I meet my mortgage balance goal?
- Did I meet my investments (e.g. shares) goal?
- What debts did I pay off, or how much money did I put down against my debts?
- What were the biggest expense items this year?
- If you have more than one income, which income earned you the most?
- Best purchase of this year?
- Worst purchase of this year?
- Rate your relationships this year out of 10 (10 being the best)
- Who was the most important person is your life this year?
- Am I happy with my relationship with my significant other?
- Are there any friends I didn’t connect with as much this year, as I did last year? If so, why?
- Favorite moment with your friends?
- Favorite moment with your significant other?
- Rate your health this year out of 10 (10 being the best)
- What mental state were you in the majority this year? E.g. relaxed, anxious, stressed, time poor?
- How many times did you exercise per week?
- On average, how many fruit did you eat each week?
- On average, how many vegetables did you eat each week?
- What new foods did you try?
- Are you happy with your weight?
- What new habits did I pick up?
- What habits do I need to break?
- Which habits didn’t I do often enough? (e.g. only did once per week but had set a goal to do twice per week)
- Rate your travel experiences this year out of 10 (10 being the best)
- What was your favorite place that you visited?
- What places did you have on your list that you didn’t visit? Why?
- What lessons did you learn while travelling?
- Favorite memories from your trips?
- Any places you visited that you would go back to again?
Favorites this year
- Fiction book
- Non-fiction book
- TV series
- Most played artist and / or song
PLANS FOR THIS YEAR
Now that you’ve reviewed the past year, it’s time to set some goals for the next year.
- Number one goal for this year?
- Other goals for this year?
- What skills do you want to learn, improve or master this year?
- What do you want to spend more time doing?
- What do you want your everyday life to look like?
- How do you want to remember this year when you reflect back in 5, 10, 15 years time?
- What experiences are you most looking forward to? What is on your bucket list for this year?
- Income goal for this year?
- Savings goal/s for this year?
- Mortgage balance goal for this year?
- Credit card balance goal for this year?
- Car loan balance goal for this year?
- Investments e.g. stocks goal/s for this year?
- What do you want your title / position to be?
- What do you want to achieve career wise?
- Who do you want to spend more time with this year?
- How many times do you want to exercise per week?
- What new sports or exercise routines do you want to try?
- What do you want your weight to be by the end of the year?
- What new foods do you want to try?
- Which new habits do you want to pick up?
- Which bad habits do you want to break?
- What places do you want to travel to?
- Who do you want to take a trip with?
Download a printable version
Access the free printables library and be notified when new blog posts are published
More planning tips
- 20 Productivity & Time Management ‘Rules’ I Live By
- 50 Motivational Quotes to add to your planner
- 7 Mistakes to avoid when setting up a new planner
Found this post helpful? Pin it!